Over 100 Years of Accurate Measurement
Our long and distinguished history began in the early 1900’s when John Burkholder developed and patented a design for a mechanical ‘no springs’ scale. In 1908 the company was established as the National Store Specialty Company on Lancaster Avenue in Lancaster, PA. The manufacturer was known for a line of gasoline pumps and scales using the ribbon and cam indicating method. The original building still stands.
In 1911 the rapidly expanding company built a large industrial building in Leola which was occupied until several years ago.The early 1970s brought the first electronic counting scales; our designs proved to be highly accurate and durable—many first generation units continue dependable service even today. Our distributors have stocks of our scales for short term rentals for physical inventories and special projects.
Purchased by the A. H. Emery Company in 2000 (also manufacturing scales under the Emery Winslow Scale Company brand), we discovered new life and vitality as an American manufacturer. In 2014, we moved once again to a company-owned facility back to our roots in Lancaster.
It is here that we find our future: As an American manufacturer we are invested and committed to the community in which we live—supporting the local way of life. The ripple effect of work from our suppliers—sheet, fab, cables, boards, finishing, machining—supports hundreds of stable, secure American jobs and contributes tax revenue, providing a better quality of life and supporting the American way.